Friday, October 22, 2010

The Moment I knew I was an American

Let's start out by asking what an American is. A simple definition of an American from Dictionary.com an inhabitant of the United States of America. That sounds pretty accurate, but let's add to it. I would say an American is also someone who love's the land and its culture in addition to living in the United States.

I knew I was an American not when I was born, but when I learned about America. I knew I was an American when I knew that this was the United States of America and when I learned about it's history. When was this? Around the first of second grade maybe. I didn't feel I was an American though. Being raised up in a Chinese background by very Chinese parents, I thought of myself as Chinese more. However, that didn't make much sense to me since I wasn't living in China.

I didn't believe I was a true American until recently, after reading What Is an American in class. After reading it, I found that an American is made up of all cultures, all other cultures including the Chinese culture. After knowing this, saying I am an American made more sense to me. I am proud to say that I am American.

6 comments:

  1. I kind of felt like that but I believed I was a true American sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that "American" is made up of all cultures. But this for some reason baffles me...because, I don't think "American" is original at all if that is so unlike the other cultures out there. I'm still trying to figure out what being American involves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also believed I was a true American after reading What is an American and doing the blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I would say an American is also someone who loves the land and its culture in addition to living in the United States."
    So, what if someone dislike the culture of America? Would they still be an American even though they live in the USA and vote in political elections?

    ReplyDelete
  5. to answer your question Henley I guess that person wouldn't be a true american.

    ReplyDelete